Thursday, December 2, 2010

Can I get rid of the "Scan and Fix" pop-up?

QUESTION:

Whenever I plug in my USB stick, Windows 7 wants to "scan and fix" it. I get a pop-up box saying "Do you want to scan and fix removable drive (J)?" I don't, and I always click "Continue without scanning." I've never had a problem with the drive but it always wants to do this. Can I get rid of it permanently?

The dialog box appears when Windows detects problems with the drive's file system or if you didn't dismount the drive (using the "safely remove hardware" function) when you took it out of the computer or reader. You can indeed disable this - but if you do, you'll also lose the Autoplay function, which pops up the box asking what you want to do when you insert a removable drive (for example, for graphics files, you're asked if you want to import the pictures, copy them to your computer and view them, just open the folder, or use the drive to speed up your system with ReadyBoost. That means you'll need to manually open Explorer and navigate to the drive to access its files.


If you don't mind that (or if Autoplay annoys you too and you'd love to get rid of it), here's how:

1. Log on as administrator.

2. Click Start and in the Search box, type msconfig

3. Click the Services tab.

4. Scroll down and find Shell Hardware Detection.

5. Uncheck the box.

6. Restart the computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment